Wednesday, August 8, 2012

UNTV Istorya - Aug 8, 2012

Even with the economic recession America is facing right now, I believe America is still the Land of Milk and Honey. But the misconception that the American Dream is available to anyone who just dreams of making it big gives people a reality shock when they realize, just like any other place on earth, you have to be wiling to work harder than anyone else, push your limitations, and never ever give up. In America, you do have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness BUT just like anywhere else, you have to work hard. I believe that the American Dream is not confined in the 50 states. Even here in the Philippines, you can have your own version of the American Dream - you have to believe!





There are 3 reasons why I wrote the book. First, was to have a human face and voice to the current challenging and “broken” Immigration system. (No family should have to go through what we went through). Second, to remind people that we all have a common purpose: TO LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST. And lastly, to celebrate my family. As readers commented, the book, Out of Status will change the way you look at life and family. It’s a different kind of love story: “a love story of family, of spouses, of children to parents, of people and their dreams. Love that keeps you together and at the same time, helps you spread your wings.

 Living in America was not really something we dreamed of or discussed in my family when I was younger. Our parents focused on teaching us to have a strong faith in God, love one another, and to always try to make a difference. To learn how to forgive and move on. They instilled in us that we have to take responsibility of our own actions and that God has given us natural talents to use and not waste.

I was desperate and eager to help support my family. Back then, I believed and was encouraged that my status would be legal in no time. Looking back, after 28 years, I think my decision to leave the Philippines was meant to be – a part of a bigger puzzle in my so called "life".


I didn’t get my green card until 11 years after I stepped foot in the US. I hired a lawyer to convert my VISA into a business visa and also went through a horrible experience of dealing with people who abused desperate immigrants like me. I didn't have a good experience with lawyers. The one thing this book produced was me meeting a non-profit organization of lawyers (FALDEF) whose mission is to truly help! 

In order to survive, I had to work harder. I networked and prayed a lot.


Life does have a funny way of working things out for us. I guess our parents taught us how to deal with challenges. We learned that the trick is to learn how to ride life's highs and lows, never losing sight of our goals while keeping in our hearts what truly is important to us.

Two of my brothers are US citizen and permanent resident. My other 3 brothers are here in the Philippines, have their own business and careers, helping other Filipinos do be better in their lives – and in a way, living the American Dream.


 To those who are in the Philippines, I don’t suggest that you go to the US and become “out of status”. It’s more difficult now than it was 28 years ago. PLUS, there are plenty more opportunities to have a better life than becoming “out of status”. My advice is for people (children) to go to school, be educated, be aware of what’s out there. Hopefully, one day we don’t have to leave the country of our birth just to follow our dreams. The only way to get poor children out of poverty is for them to have an education.
When asked where would I be 20 years from now? By then, I'll be almost 70!! I hope that my entire family will all be able to get together in America. In as much as I love the Philippines, my home is where my heart is -- with my husband and children - my family. And I'll still be cleaning my house, doing laundry, making dinner and washing dishes for the family.

(It was Aug 8, 1984 , 28 years ago, when my American journey began...)

No comments:

Post a Comment