Sunday, August 19, 2012

Providing Access To Hope

“Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.”

I’ve migrated to this country 28 years ago because I believe in the American Dream. My path to obtaining the elusive “green card” was not a walk in the park – it was quite the opposite!


I’ve been waiting for a comprehensive immigration reform for almost 3 decades and it baffles me that with all the lobbying, protest and debates – NO legislation was passed to solve the broken and challenging immigration policies. There are times, when I feel discouraged -- and yes, I've been tired for the past 23 years!

On June 15, 2012, President Obama issued an Executive Order to temporarily provide “Deferred Action to Childhood Arrivals”.

And since that announcement, I had been very busy providing pro bono work at least 40 hours a week – a task which can be quantified as $30,000 worth of pro bono professional services! I must say I enjoyed every minute of it – putting my creative mind in presenting to the world what a particular non-profit organization does, and hopes to accomplish.

On August 21, 2012, the Filipino American Legal Defense & Education Fund (FALDEF), together with National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA) and the Philippine Consulate General in New York (PCGNY) are hosting a town hall discussion “PATH for DREAMS – Proving Access To Hope” on the issues that affect millions of people – Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA). It will be held at the Philippine Center’s Kalayaan Hall. It’s another way on how a group of men and women are working together to help those who are in need.

Millions of people are at a crossroads in their lives -- just like when my parents and brothers were almost 20 years ago. These people have to make a decision that can affect not only their lives but the lives of their family members. An action that can mean - being able to stay in this country legally or be deported.

The National Federation of Filipino American Associations, together with Filipino American Legal Defense and Education Fund, with the support of the Philippine Consulate General in New York is providing free assistance for eligible DREAMers under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) on August 24th.

So if you know anyone who can take advantage of this FREE service, unlike my family who were taken advantage of greedy lawyers, please pass the information along. 

For what purpose, you may ask?

I can only find one answer: to Provide Access To Hope.

Visit FALDEF's website: www.faldef.org for more details.




No comments:

Post a Comment