Sunday, February 3, 2013

An Open Letter to the Gang of 8 on Immigration Reform


I am a first-generation American Citizen who came to the U.S. from the Philippines on a tourist visa in 1984.  My husband is a second generation American whose grandparents immigrated from Russia and Eastern Europe.  Together we have four children.  Two of them have graduated college, one is entering Columbia University this coming August, and our fourth is in sixth grade.

My five brothers and parents came to the U.S. around 1987, also on tourist visas.  My brothers ranged in age from 13 to 26 at the time of their arrival.  Their intention was to stay permanently in the U.S. so over the next eighteen years they worked, saved, started businesses, and paid tens of thousands of dollars to various lawyers to help them navigate through the legal immigration process. 
 
Unfortunately, in 2005, after living here for eighteen years, most of my family was deported.  My three youngest brothers were held in deportation centers prior to being sent back to the Philippines.  They ranged in ages from 13 to 18 when they had arrived in the U.S. and they were each over 30 when they were deported.  Two of them were married with children at the time of their deportations.  They had all worked hard, paid taxes, made close friendships with their neighbors, and obeyed our laws. 

So of the 8 of us who came to the U.S. in 2005, there are only 3 of us who still live here.  Fortunately, my next older brother, who owns an electrical contracting company that he started in the 90’s, also secured citizenship.  He is married with 3 children.  After his deportation, my youngest brother started a business in the Philippines which employs dozens of people, services customers around the world, and has been featured in various magazines.

 
In 2012 I documented my story in a book entitled “Out of Status”.  I hope my book inspires you and informs your decision making as you work through the immigration debate that is now underway in our country.  Also, I would be happy to make myself available for conversations, hearings, or in any other way that would help advance the cause of improving our immigration system.

 
Thank you very much for all of your hard work on this issue.  It is means a lot to the lives of so many people, and is vital to the future of our magnificent country.

No comments:

Post a Comment