Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How Do You Make The Next Day Better?



When my husband and I were first dating, he brought me to Coney Island in Brooklyn. We rode the Cyclone, which is one of the most famous roller coasters. The thing about Cyclone is that although it’s not the highest or the fastest roller coaster, it has a very steep first drop during which you rise slightly out of your seat. For that brief moment, you are not sure when you will stop falling. And just when the roller coaster brings you to the peak of its scariest point, that moment suddenly ends and it starts to slow down, and the steepness starts to level off. And in that split second when the transition occurs and your emotional state goes from one of fear to one of relief – that is the inflection point. 1

People say that life is like a roller coaster. But the thing about life is that you don’t realize that the bottom of the steep drop is the bottom until it’s behind you. One thing I learned is that you have to keep trying to move forward – to make tomorrow a better day.

I thought I had a tough life, that the tragic experience caused by deportation and detention was worst than anyone could ever go through. I didn't think there would be a tomorrow. But my family inspired me to get past the pain.

When the book was launched at the Philippine Consulate in New York, I was approached by a non-profit organization to join their team. And in the next four months since, I had witnessed the hard work of a non-profit organization whose main purpose is to defend those who couldn't defend themselves – to give HOPE.

This morning, just like any other mornings, the first thing I did was reply to the various emails about the various projects and initiatives of  FALDEF (Filipino AmericanLegal Defense & Education Fund, Inc.)  

My 17 year-old son asked me, “Do you enjoy what you do for them?”

Teary-eyed, I answered, “Yes.”

My son chuckled and said, “Ah, mom, you’re crying.”

“Yes, I am. It’s because I really enjoy what I do for FALDEF. I know it has taken most of my time - and sometimes time away from promoting the book, doing chores and the business launch for GottaLoveMom. But I feel like I am making it better for other people. Mother Theresa said, “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you.” Oddly enough, I am helping myself in return. It really does make me feel better."

Isn't that what life is all about? It's not about winning or getting stressed over the path to the finish line. Isn't life about sharing a little bit of ourselves? As corny as it may sound, but isn't life all about love?

Yesterday, I got an invitation to attend a launching of a new initiative: NextDayBetter.



NextDayBetter is a new initiative by Ryan Letada of CatchaFire. The event will be held on Wednesday, October 3rd at Mercy College. Social entrepreneurs, creative designers and do-gooders will be there to celebrate great ideas to make tomorrow a better day.

The event will feature the following speakers:

Jay Jaboneta, Chief Fire Starter at Yellow Boat of Hope and Social Entrepreneur. 2013 Acumen Fund Global Fellow. Former Chief Social Media Strategist for the Office of Philippines President Aquino.

Miguel Trinidad, Executive Chef, Maharlika Filipino Moderno

Analisa Balares, CEO of Womensphere

Tickets are $10. Early bird (until September 30) is $5.


If you're in New York, I hope you'll consider attending.



-----






No comments:

Post a Comment